Friday, July 15, 2011

"You are my Sunshine..."

Here is the first smiley picture of Seth. He was very cheerful this morning for a guy who didn't sleep more than an hour at a time last night. When I titled this I was thinking I should put "You are my Moonshine," but I was afraid people would think I meant the alcoholic kind.
Yes, he's still a bit jaundiced but after dragging my feet for a week I took him in for a blood draw, and he's fine -- it's just "breastfeeding jaundice."
Speaking of... it seems that's all I ever do lately. Which means that I've been spending a lot of time on the computer and reading, since that's all I can really do. I just finished a driving course that I elected to take rather than pay for a speeding ticket, and I learned that one should NEVER drag race -- about 50 videos on that so I guess their main audience is young and male -- go figure! I've also turned into a facebook junkie, at least I check it every day, which I never did before.
But the great thing about being so sedentary is the amount of reading I've been able to do. I'm going to finish the Book of Mormon by my target date of the end of July, I read Dr. James Dobson's The Strong-Willed Child, as a parenting review, and I also really enjoyed Free To Choose by Nobel-prize-winning economist Milton Friedman, which help define and give clear explanations for things I have believed but not fully understood, like free trade and abolishing public-sector unions. It also explains the bureaucratic bungling behind the Great Depression in a way that made me finally "get it" (most explanations I've heard never made sense to me, and I finally realized that's because they just presented the symptoms, not the root causes.)
And finally, I'm getting around to finishing Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling after having lost it in a stack of books for a long time. This book is totally unique in that it presents the life of Joseph Smith in the context of the world he lived in, comparing the culture and religion of early Mormonism to other societal and religious movements of the time. Some people are put off by reading about the occasionally-bizarre things that went on, and feel it's not good to publicize them, but I think we have nothing to fear from the truth. People were coming to the church with many different ideas about what it should be like, and the Lord couldn't spell out every detail of everything all at once -- it took time to develop. Richard Lyman Bushman is an expert on the period, and his research and notes are phenomenal. One review I read on Amazon stands out to me. The person said they were not a member, but after reading the book had come to believe Joseph to be an "inspired man, or possibly a prophet." I'm going to read the Doctrine and Covenants with a new eye now.